Wednesday, August 8, 2007

It's The Same Sky


It's no secret that I love Massachusetts, specifically, Cape Cod. One of my favorite things about the Cape is the sky. Whether it's watching the sunset over Cape Cod Bay, or catching a sunrise over the North Atlantic, the colors are spectacular. A few years ago as we watched the sunset at Campground beach, Uncle Peter remarked that no two sunsets are ever the same. You know, he's right. They are each unique and have been known to draw applause from the neighbors gathered by the shore each evening.


One Sunday morning, a couple of weeks ago, Cindy and I were doing the "get out the kinks after the long run" workout before church. As we ran through Elisha Park we came up over the hill where the path turns back toward the east. The sun had just begun to rise but had not quite peeked over the treeline. I looked up and noticed the colors, reds, yellows, oranges, a tinge of purple... "Oh, wow!", was my spontaneous response, "how beautiful." As we made our way back home, I did some thinking about that sunrise, and I realized that the view was just as beautiful as any on the Cape. As a matter of fact, all things being equal, the Cape sunrise that same morning was likely just as stunning. Then the most elementary of all concepts struck me anew... it's the same sky.... in Massachusetts and in South Carolina.... it's the same sky... I'm the one that moved.

Isn't my relationship with God just like that in a way? He is there, always. Same location. Same beauty. Same power. Same love, mercy and grace. The view seems different because I was the one who moved. He is perpetual. I am intermittent.











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice thought & how true. Guess next time we wonder where God went we should check & see if we are the one who moved! :)

Jen Whisonant said...

And isn't there the best comfort in that? Sometimes, just lately, looking up at the beauty of creation, gives the only kind of lasting comfort in HIM.

Jen said...

i hope you're already composing your 'the day ashleigh goes to college' post! i can't wait to read it...check out the email i sent you, too!

Jen Whisonant said...

I want pictures --- =(