Monday, December 15, 2008

A Christmas Tree Tradition

Most families have traditions that they observe during the Christmas season. There are movies to watch, television specials that are just to good (or cheesy) to miss, cookies and pies to bake and deliver. Our family has several that we observe annually, almost out of habit (the good kind of habit, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Ralphie, not all habits are bad).

I absolutely love the Christmas season. From Thanksgiving until New Years Day, I look at the world differently. Even though one of the most painful events in my life occurred in December (the death of my grandfather McKinney when I was almost 18), I look forward to celebrating the hope and joy that is available to me because of a life that began in a tiny Judean village so long ago.

When I was a child, it seemed that each year my parents always had our Christmas tree up and decorated on my birthday. In reality, that wasn't likely foremost in their minds, but hey, what's a December baby to think? So, since this year will be the first since 1984 that I haven't seen my parents on Christmas day, I decided to honor the memory of my childhood by taking care of the tree for my birthday. After MUCH searching, we finally found a tree lot in Cobb county that wasn't asking for a second mortgage to purchase a live tree. Ashleigh went with me and we found the perfect (in my eyes) tree. I guess she thought I was a little nuts when I teared up as we headed home with our prize.

Yesterday was my birthday and I began decorating by stringing lights and hanging ornaments that include baby pictures of our precious children. In the fading light of the late autumn afternoon, I switched on the lights of the tree and just sort of stood there. I suppose that I teared up again, recalling Decembers of years past, missing my family and friends back in South Carolina.

You know, standing in the glow of a Christmas tree is special. The evergreen tree itself brings to mind the perpetual, unfailing love of God. The bright lights remind me that one day the kingdom of this world will become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever.

2 comments:

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Happy Birthday My Friend!! Love and Miss You Guys!!

Jen Whisonant said...

Happy Birthday pops. WE love you.