Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas in Kennesaw



This morning we were awake early, 3:30am (yes we're crazy), working on our Christmas morning tradition. We've got breakfast in the oven, and I'm on the laptop in the den waiting on the goodies in the oven. Nat King Cole, Karen Carpenter and Andy Williams are on the radio. Snickers is trying to figure out why we're up but not feeding her. It's drizzling just a little outside, and the mist makes the lights in the neighborhood twinkle that much brighter. NORAD says that Santa is now in Alaska, almost finished with his annual deliveries.


My cousin, Karen, has a lot of old family photos (I'm the one in the striped pants). Looking at these brings back a flood of wonderful memories. I come from a very large and very close family. Although I'm not sure of the date of the photo at left, my guess would be the summer of 1972 or 1973. The years have scattered us across the country. Whoever thought I would be in Kennesaw, GA, after 20 years in Fort Mill? Life is like that isn't it, Forrest? You never know what you're gonna get.




Even though we live in a new place, some things are constant and the melody and harmony of God's love for us is perpetual. I feel that this Christmas more than ever. We are strangers in a new land, but folks at our new church have taken us in and made us part of their family. One family even had us over to share in their Christmas Eve celebration last night. That was a huge blessing to me because the Newell and McKinney families had such wonderful times together over the holiday seasons of years past. When I was in high school, the McKinney clan used to pack into cars and drive around Fort Mill, caroling for family friends. Aunt Brenda Kay would always come over and help us make snow people and then there was the food at my grandparents house. TONS of it! Two such holiday gatherings stand out in my mind. The first would be the Immaculate Reception as Franco Harris and the Steelers defeated the Oakland Raiders in the AFC playoffs in 1972. The other would be December of 1979, during my senior year in high school. My Pappaw had died just weeks before, and still the family went caroling. Brenda Kay brought along her photography assistant, Lori, and on Christmas morning Brenda gave me a card with Lori's phone number.

Yes, this year we're in a new location, but we feel so blessed to be making new memories on this new adventure that we have undertaken. My prayer for whoever reads this is that you experience the same love, mercy and grace that I have experienced. I believe with all my heart that God loves each of us so much, desires a real and dynamic relationship with each of us so much, that he gave us Jesus Christ, Immanuel, God With Us, so that we could experience the joys of heaven forever. Truly, wise men still seek Him. Merry Christmas 2008.

I wish you peace.



2 comments:

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Merry Christmas Evans, Cindy, Ashleigh, John and Jessica from Rick, Cindy, Geoff, Jason & Jennifer. Love and miss you guys..

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Guy! It's been a long time since I've heard from you. I'm thrilled to see that God has given you a full-time outlet for that which has been within you for so long. Best of luck and God's choicest blessings on you and the family.

Randy Long