Monday, May 28, 2007

High School Graduation

Well, I made it, barely. I didn't think I could do it, but I did. I only broke down seven or eight times (before the ceremony - during it and afterwards I was a total mess). The source of my emotional instability? Ashleigh's high school graduation.

The Palmetto Homeschool Association sponsors commencement exercises. This year they were held at USC-Lancaster. Several family and friends made the trek down, and we were treated to a very nice graduation program. As salutatorian of the class, Ashleigh was asked to give a brief address. As she took her place at the podium, I began to realize that our first baby is grown. As she began to speak, it hit me that the young woman who has taken our baby's place is ready to make her own way. I don't think it would be fair to say that I was proud of her. More like stunned. I just couldn't believe the words I heard were coming from my daughter. For those that couldn't be there, here is the text of her speech.

Parents, Honored Guests, and Fellow Graduates,

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Samuel Clemens, or better known as the popular writer, Mark Twain, challenges us to partake of an adventure through life. It’s hard to fathom where we’ll be in twenty years when none of us has yet to depart from our port-of-sail. Nevertheless, we are very soon setting off. For some, setting off means college where the much anticipated freedom is acquired and suddenly the word “sale” has never looked so appealing. For others, it’s not college, but another direction in life, where change must be embraced. No matter what our plans in the near future, we have all one thing in common; we are growing up. We are no longer referred to as children, yet not quite adults. It seems only like yesterday that we were attending Barbie and Superman birthday parties and burying our annoying siblings and best friends in the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese. Our need for chauffeurs has vanished with the acquirement of driver’s licenses and the constant protection of our parents is slowly but surely backing away, leaving us to stand on our own with the opportunity to make our own mistakes, and to choose our own faith. I have found faith in my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and know without a doubt that He is what I will lean on through the coming months. Faith can be defined as believing without seeing. Yet through believing, the truth is illuminated and seeing is no longer required. I have decided that I will walk by faith, and not by sight because who am I to declare that the outward appearance of an obstacle is impossible, when in fact, the impossible happens daily? After today, after this moment, we are no longer considered highschoolers. We are on the verge of a great adventure and only get one life to live it. Responsibility has been thrust upon us and we must rise to the challenge of making wise choices, choices that result in consequences, good and bad, and though we might not see those consequences immediately, they are sure to come. The practice of wisdom will only benefit us in the future. My charge to you now is to dream big, pursue the impossible, and regret nothing. Congratulations class of 2007, best wishes, and God bless.

Here are some photos from the day (minus the tears).




One down, two to go. We'll keep you posted...

3 comments:

Jen Whisonant said...

Man, what a day! What pro photographer took that family pic? Fantastic! Congrats to the grad...and her folks for making it through this day...we won't talk about how hard it will be to leave her at CSU this fall...nope, won't even mention it.

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Wow!! Ashleigh--we are sooooo proud of you. You Rock! And you're gonna love Charleston. Check out Folley Beach when you get there. One of my favorite places. Now that Geoff has graduated and moved out of Charleston, I didn't have an excuse to go back to visit, until now (hint hint). Congrats!! WooHoo..

Jen said...

wish we could've shared the day with you guys! congrats to Ash! i'm glad you took along your personal photographer for the occasion!