Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm Growing Older But Not Up

Well, in response to the first post, some old friends shared a picture of their family with us. Looking at their grown and almost-grown kids made me pause for a moment and realize "hey, I'm 45 stinkin' years old". Our youngest child is soon to be a seventh-grader. Instead of attending Vacation Bible School, our kids are now on the staff. Wow! That decade flew in a hurry.

In our church band, we have several members in their 20s, along with a couple of teenagers. One of them actually calls me "Pops" (among other various terms of endearment). At first, I must admit it bothered me a little, but now, I think I like it. Somehow it makes me feel wiser than I really am, and we all know that if you just act like you know what you're doing, you can fool a lot of people :-)

So it is with great pleasure that I am learning to embrace the lyrics of the infamous buccaneer poet, Jimmy Buffett: "I'm growing older but not up, my metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck".

Speaking of the youngest, check out these shots of Jessi....



After the Myrtle Beach Marathon's 1-mile Family Fun Run







That killer volleyball serve.

4 comments:

Jen Whisonant said...

So, if you think you are wiser than you really are and there's not a woman around to hear that kind of thinking, are you still wrong? love ya, pops!

Chris Whisonant said...

Who would call you pops?!? The audacity! :)

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Glad to hear you have embraced the nickname "pops." How long before they start calling you "gramps?" That day will probably come sooner than you are ready my friend. :-) But know that some of us will probably get there before you do. :-(

Jen Whisonant said...

Okie, I just scrolled to the bottom of your blog for the first time...that little ditty down there is cool. I'm glad I took the time to scroll down for once. =)